Saturday, January 15, 2011

My weigh in on Tucson

I'm not going to make a political statement here because anyone who has read my blog for a while can guess what I would probably say. Rather I do want to make a sad observations about our culture. Yesterday, while every radio in the country is still blaring news and opinions about the causes of the tragedy, I saw a harried mother at Target buying a large fake water rifle at Target for her child. I wish I were making this up. And then when I was getting pizza with my Dad, a hyperactive 3 or 4 year old had his hands pointed into guns, "shooting" at his sister. Guns have trickled down to be something that is so commonplace that even young children know what they do, even if they can't fathom what it would really mean to take a life. And this is only seen as a game.

So where can start to "make America as good as she imagined it?": teach our kids that violence is wrong, even jokingly. And in the meantime start making our political discourse fitting for adults instead of duking it out playground style. And yes that includes you too Democrats.

No comments:

Post a Comment