Monday, July 18, 2011

Feeble Salsa Dancing & Dangerous SUVs

Today was pretty much the best day ever, despite a lot of sweating like a proverbial hooker in church & a minor fall.


I worked for my catering job and Northeastern today. Basically I just chilled out with fun staff who had multiple danceoffs and got to bring home a bouquet.

After that, I biked around the South End, which I realized was an area I didn't know that well. I wanted to hate it for being totally gentrified, except it was so damn cute that it was nearly impossible. Little brownstones and parks and sidewalk cafés...

On the way home I had an incident that made me feel like a true Bostonian cyclist. I got doored, ie someone opened their door and hit me. I almost stopped in time/only caught the very very corner, so I almost didn't even fall. No major injuries, just 2 tiny bruises. And of course I was wearing a helmet, so that was good. Honestly, I've had worse falls down the stairs. So so so lucky. But seriously, lady, if you weren't driving a BIG ASS SUV (So 2000), there would have been room for me to go by in the bike lane and you to open your door. Get that crap off the road already!

Tonight, I went with my friend Suzanne and some of her salsa dancing compañeros to Salsa Abajo de las Estrellas, a weekly free outdoor salsa dancing extravaganza.  So much amazing dancing. I think I figured why I am such a terrible salsa dancer: I can't move my hips without forgetting the steps, and producing those two movements simultaneously is fairly crucial. It was so fun though: you can't help but be happy while listening to salsa. 

It also kind of negated my previous point about the South End. We were gathered in a park right next to Villa Victoria, a crucial center of Puerto Rican culture and activism, and there was an amazing cross section of people who showed up for the event. Keeping culture alive, reinterpreting it, reviving it, sharing it, through movement and music. What could be more beautiful?

Side news: An article about an awareness event the Guatemala radio network is having made it into the Guatemalan press! Perhaps I will translate the article at some point for y'all, google translate obscured too much of the meaning.
http://www.lahora.com.gt/index.php/nacional/guatemala/departamental/3581-buscan-aprobacion-de-ley-de-medios-de-comunicacion-comunitaria

I had a dream last night that I went on a fact finding mission with the members of Cultural Survival to draw attention to the plight of a group of indigenous peoples. I can't remember "where" though.  Triple nerd score.

1 comment: