Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Few Good Quotes

In the cathedrals of New York and Rome
There is a feeling 
that you should just go home
and spend a lifetime, finding out just where that is.
Jump Little Children, "Cathedrals"

What, I wonder, is the message of Nicaraguan cathedrals?

We returned to our separate lives, two migrants making our way in the West stuffed with money, power and things, this North that taught us to see from its privileged point of view. But maybe we were the lucky ones; we knew that other perspectives existed. We had seen the view from elsewhere.
Salman Rushdie, The Jaguar Smile: A Nicaraguan Adventure (1987)

I think this is the best articulation I've seen in a while for why I do what I do.


I am sailing, I am sailing,
Home again cross the sea.
I am sailing, stormy waters,
To be near you, to be free.

I am flying, I am flying,
Like a bird cross the sky.
I am flying, passing high clouds,
To be with you, to be free.


I hate Rod Stewart, but I love teaching this song, and it popped into my head on my second boat ride in less than a week.


No comments:

Post a Comment