Sunday, September 28, 2014

Adventures in Camoapa

 A spot of pig

 Mombachito as seen from a cornfield

Mombachito 

Hikers! 

Delicious Guirilas

Last week, I went to visit my fellow Peace Corps volunteer Natalie in Camoapa, a relatively wealthy but very cowboy town in the department of Boaco. I got to hang out with Natalie and her boyfriend Rob at "Finca de los Gringos," go on one of the best hikes I've done in Nicaragua, and watch Natalie in action at her girl's youth group. It's always awesome to visit other people's sites, see the relationships they've built and see micro-differences in culture and climate. A few things I noticed during my trip:
-It was deliciously freezing cold (like 60 probably) at night. Slept like a newborn.
-Many people in Camoapa were gato, having green or blue eyes, but also so many people had light brown eyes, which isn't as common in other parts of Nicaragua.
-Many people are beekeepers, and a few lucky people have worked in this industry in Canada, bringing their families to a much higher standard of living.
-There are many two story concrete houses, practically unheard of in my town. Cattle herding can pay pretty well, apparently.
-Corn snacks (hornadas) are sold in every store. I bought 10 million of them because they are delicious and in San Miguelito, you can only find them if the vendor women go past selling them.
-It's common to kiss people on the cheek as a greeting. It's not a very common greeting where I live, but the Camoapans were really into it.
-Camoapa is the only place in Nicaragua where I've seen more graffiti for the opposition parties (PLI, PLC,etc) than for the FSLN.

No comments:

Post a Comment