Monday, November 1, 2010

October 30: A spot of "mala pata"

Words of the day:
Dejar una constancia- doesn't translate exactly, but basically means to make an informal complaint- let the police know you lost something
Hacer una denuncia- Make a formal complaint. As a student, this is something you should NEVER do for missing objects because it means they could refuse to let you out of the country because you are needed for an ongoing investigation.
Cartera/billetera- wallet
carnet/cédula- identity document in Chile, like a driver's license but much more important.

So I lost/may have had my wallet pickpocketed. ¡Qué lata! Luckily, I realized this the day after, but inconviently the one place where I may have left it is closed for the long weekend. At any rate, I had to go to the police station to report my national identity card as missing. It was kind of weird- I just walked into the station, where all the police cars were sitting around- thought there would be a lot more security. I was kind of expected someone in armadillo suit riot gear to jump out and tackle me. It was also funny for me to try and explain how to spell my name... Didn't lose hardly any money, just my debit card but could have been worse. Unfortunately, because of all the running around I missed a talk by Rigoberta Menchu. O well, sometimes life is less than peachy keen. Watcha gonna do?

1 comment:

  1. Rigoberta Menchu's "autobiography" was assigned reading in a literature class I took. It's mostly made up. She also sounds like a Communist.... you didn't miss much. lol, jk.

    srry about the wallet :(

    ReplyDelete