Thursday, November 18, 2010

Quién merece que ser milionario?!?!

Word of the Day: lentejas- lentils
1. My host mom makes the most delicious lentils ever. I asked for the recipe and it was nothing special which makes this even more intriguing.
2. Lentils are apparently a good luck food to be consumed on New Years. Jumping on that bandwagon...

Thank you Tufts in Chile, I can't even watch TV anymore without analyzing class messages.

A couple days back, I watched Chile's version of "Who Wants to be A Millionaire” with my host dad. It was good because I learned a ton of trivia about Chile that I had never heard before but also, realized how little I actually know about Chile. There are so many things you take for granted growing up in a place, or in "Latino" culture.
What interested me most about the show though, was the way it was structured. Basically, famous contestants play on behalf of "worthy" Chileans who are in difficult economic situations, accompanied of course by dramatic or touching stories. In some ways this makes for better TV, because comedians/actresses can make answering questions entertaining, but its also sort of demeaning. There were several instances where the "average" person knew the answer and the person playing on their behalf did not...
Basically, it was fascinating to me because it unites two discourses about in Chile, the idea of solidarity but also the idea that it is the responsability of those with wealth or fame to "save" people from poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment