Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Life Updates

Things are going swimingly.
I paid my rent for the month. I had a lovely trip home to see the family. I have a mentor. My "summer home" is a slight step up from my previous lodgings: I am no longer living in a converted porch, the basement pipes are not covered in asbestos, there is free laundry, a big backyard with grass and a grill, a dishwasher and I have an absurdly large queen size bed.
I started my internship with Cultural Survival officially yesterday. I really like it so far. Everyone is really relaxed and there is no apparent dress code for the interns. We get to hang in this cool basement/library near the kitchen or upstairs at a giant table. We got delicious banana bread that one of the staff members, Polly, brought in.
I spent most of yesterday getting acquainted with the staff, the office and the specifics of the Guatemala Radio project. Because I am lazy, see link here for now: http://www.culturalsurvival.org/current-projects/guatemala-radio-project Basically, though, I just read a ton of back issues of Cultural Survival's magazine. My head was swimming with new things when I left: violence against Papuan women, Leonard Peltier, Guatemalan mining laws, the silence of the US, Austrailia and Canada on indigenous issues in international law, conservation refugees, etc.

The other interns are really cool too, ranging from grad students with families to intinerant travelers to another Tufts senior. Everybody brings really unique things to the table, which I'm excited for.

All in all, shaping up to be a good summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment