Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Literal (and Metaphorical) Cliff Diving

As I write this, I am sitting on the Acela to Washington DC, where I will meet up with the other volunteers (of undetermined number) as I leave for Peace Corps service in Nicaragua for 27 months. Until November I will be in training, and then I will begin my two year period of service, in the "Teacher of English as a Foreign Language" Program.

I happened upon the "Cliff Divers" at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston the weekend before I left. I had some pictures I was going to upload, but the internet is quite slow, so I will leave you with this link instead.  it was a really cool competition in which people literally dove off the top of the building and did these absolutely stunning flips and twists as they fell into Boston Harbor, landing so hard you could literally hear the splash. And it strikes me as an entirely appropriate metaphor for this endeavor: likely to be beautiful, terrifying, exciting, and maybe a little bit painful at times.

I hope to keep you all updated on my adventures, at least semi regularly, internet situation pending!

Snail mail or post cards is greatly appreciated as well!
My mailing address, at least until about Thanksgiving, is:

Emily Clayton
Voluntario del Cuerpo de Paz
Apartado Postal 13256
Managua, Nicaragua
Central America

Un abrazo gigante a todos! (Big hug to everyone). Thanks for everything, past, present and future.

No comments:

Post a Comment