Thursday, January 31, 2013

A new frenemy




My host family, at some point while I was out of the house, acquired a piglet named Renata. I think she was a gift, but at any rate, she is ours now. The last few days, for various reasons, I've (sort of) gotten stuck taking care of her. This has been problematic because a) I wasn't given a lot of instructions, b) I don't really like most animals very much and c) I know very little about pigs. For example, how much food does one need to give a growing piglet? Can you kill it with too much food, like a fish? How does one yell in Spanish at a pig to discipline in, and teach it that it cannot under any circumstances, come into the house from the courtyard? Can you yell at it like a dog?

Renata is very necia, roughly meaning naughty. She likes to get into things, including my bedroom, which she seems oddly fascinated with for some reason. And where she decided to eat at my flip flops and get her muddy little snout all over everything, just after I had mopped the floor. Then, even more hilariously, she somehow climbed into my bed, after I thought I had shut the door. I had to drag her off, squealing all the way. Apparently, my host brother had moved her mattress, so she was hunting for another one. Lord only knows how she was able to make it into my bed because it's high off the ground. Stupid pig. Or rather, highly intelligent pig, wherein lie all the problems.

She is kind of cute though, with her little sunburnt back, spots, stubborn determination and inquisitive snorting.

Here's to hoping someone else ends up with her before Renata becomes food.

1 comment:

  1. AWWWWW I WANT A LITTLE PIG. That's such a nice story.

    Also I miss you mucho.

    Also I went to a Spanish dinner at someone's house, despite not really speaking Spanish. It was muy divertido!

    ReplyDelete