Thursday, January 31, 2013

Gorilla Hunting

Güirilas, pronunced wirilas (or gorillas, if you're a zany group of Peace Corps volunteers), are a standard food of Northern Nicaragua, that I have a great fondness for. I will buy a güirila whenever one is offered to me, even if I'm not that hungry.

Essentially, güirilas are hot corn pancakes with a hunk of soft, salty cheese called cuajada in the center. The corn is sort of sweet and melts the cheese just slightly if they're warm enough. Usually you can find mobile vendors selling them on buses for less than 50 cents.

In the northern city of Sebaco, however, there is a pilgrimage worthy güirila stop. Dona Daysi's Güirilas, across from the gas station in this market town makes the best güirilas in this whole country. At first, I was skeptical about having to wait in line and pay a whole dollar for a güirila, but friends assured me "it will change your life."

It was actually that good. Love at first sight, a perfect run, a good book and a really good cup of coffee kind of good. Piping hot, fresh out of the oven, with the sweetest, freshest, softest corn and just the right amount of cuajada, a dream come true.

Now I just have to find a plausible reason to get up to Sebaco more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment