Monday, June 10, 2013

Island Adventures

Word of the Day
los comejenes-termites
la garza- heron

Went out to the amazing Solentiname archipelago this weekend. Really starting how to appreciate how stunning Rio San Juan is, and at the same time, as I spend more time here, it's even easier to take all the beauty for granted. I don't think I've ever been to a place as peaceful or welcoming.

Solentiname is made up of over 30 islands in Lake Nicaragua, only some of which are inhabited, and some of which only have one or two families living on them. Despite being small and remote, the place has got a fascinating place in history: in the story of the Nicaraguan revolution, in the history of liberation theology, etc. Communities of artists live on the bigger islands: painters and sculptors of balsa wood whose work reflects the beauty of their surroundings.

I'm too tired to write well today, so I leave you with pictures. 









No comments:

Post a Comment