Friday, September 20, 2013

By bus, by train or by ox: September School Anecdotes.*


*Except there was almost no school. 
 
Word of the Day:
camioneta- pick up truck
chinear- to sit someone on your lap. No, not a lap dance.

I returned to San Miguelito from a week in Managua on Saturday. It was the worst ride ever. Being that it was a holiday, not that many buses were running, so our bus was already filled to the gills before it even left Managua, and then proceeded to stop every hundred feet to pick up more people. The bearable four and a half hour journey on the relatively "express" bus turned into a scourching six. The young child standing in the aisle next to me was too shy to let me chinear him, but he proceeded to scream intermittently about the fact that he had to stand. It should not take six hours to travel 150 miles. Just saying. 

However, it was nice to be back. On Sunday, there was a giant parade for the Fiestas Patrias, a two day celebration of Nicaraguan Independence and the Nicaraguan victory in the Battle of San Jacinto, in which Nicaraguan fighters defeated invading American filibusterers. I went to go watch the various marching bands from the different institutos in the municipality. It was a nice slice of culture and it was great to see my students perform. In the evening, my host sister had a baby shower; she's expecting her first child, a baby boy. I tried to help everyone set up, but was inevitably kind of useless. I inflated some balloons for the giant baby bottles made out of balloons (cute idea!) and served as official pizza advisor to my host mother, who was cooking pizza for the first time. It turned out pretty darn well, as did the shower.

Since the teachers had to work over the weekend, Monday and Tuesday were holidays for the teachers. More vacation wasn't something I particularly needed or wanted, but hey, gotta take advantage when you can, eh?

On Monday, I cleaned my room with an extreme degree of throughness and washed all my clothes. I had smelled mold, so I figured there must be something that was molding a lot. Both to my relief and chagrin, nothing was molding like crazy, but all the things were slightly covered in mildew. #rainyseason. I soon exhausted myself before anything was really clean or organized. I took a lot of breaks, but finally got things relatively together. In the afternoon, I went to check on the garden at the Casa Materna to see how much work it needed. Lots, it turned out. Upon returning home, I realized that it was my counterpart Xiomara's birthday. I went to her house for a birthday dinner with some of her friends and her very large family. It was really nice, although it made me a bit nostalgic for family parties at home. 

Tuesday was more of the same. I went to go buy vegetables and ended up chatting with my sitemate's host mom for an hour or two. My sitemate is in America for a wedding, and her host mom definitely misses her. In the afternoon, when it finally stopped raining, I went to go weed in the garden in the Casa Materna for a little while. I really like the people there, its a nice break from my normal routine. I came home and actually studied Spanish, which I had been meaning to do for several months now. 

Wednesday was more productive in an American sense. I went to the Casa Materna in the morning to stake some bean plants which were growing completely out  of control. To do so, I carried some sticks through the entire town, which attracted a lot of confused stares from people trying to figure out what in God's name the gringa was doing was a whole bunch of lena. The absurdity was worth it though, because some of the giant plants were starting to flower! In the afternoon, I went to talk with the Ministry of Education Delegacion about some upcoming trainings, stopped by the Mayor's office to chat about an English class, read some more of Roberto Bolanos' epic masterpiece 2666 (I'm about 600 pages deep), and worked on a workshop for next week and a project to help teachers with the Saturday curriculum. 

Thursday was a shockingly real day of work and it felt so good. I taught an early morning 11th grade class with my counterpart Antonio in San Miguelito, before going to Las Palomas to plan some classes and trainings with my counterpart Rafael. We had a really fun class with 9th grade, teaching means of transportation and focusing on speaking activities. By the end, students had really mastered the phrase "How do you get from ________to _____?," which was encouraging. I planned more classes with my counterpart Xiomara in the evening and cooked her dinner: my Nicaraguan adaptation of pasta with sauce, accompanied by quesillo as a stand in for mozzarella. Glad quesillo is expensive because otherwise it would be the only thing I would ever eat and I would die very prematurely.

Today's pretty free of committments as well. Working on some more workshops and planning this afternoon. Trying to keep busy, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment