Thursday, September 23, 2010

September 23: The Teeny Tiny Terremoto

Word of the Day: temblor- small earthshaking, without any damage

My first seismic experience occurred during law class today. I thought someone was shaking the back of my chair really hard, which seemed odd since the law students are so serious, but then I noticed the power point projection shaking. After a minute or two of nervous laughter, class resumed, no big deal. Just mother nature reminding us she's there.

Speaking of nature, Santiago has become absurdly beautiful of late, with spring busting out of every corner. Bright flowers are all over the place.

In other news, I finally got around to checking out the thrift store section of Santiago, centered on this one street called Bandera that runs up from the Plaza de Armas. It was AWESOME. Like Patronato, except cheaper and more funky. I'm starting to understand where all the hipsters shop... Certainly nothing eco-friendly like recycling- I felt bad about how many new things I've been purchasing of late, especially after a friend showed me a mini-documentary, "The Story of Stuff" http://www.storyofstuff.com/ yesterday. It reminded me that just because I'm not vegetarian anymore doesn't mean I should let all my environmentally focused habits go to hell, especially since the US is responsibly for disproportionately more environmental damage, especially when you consider how our product chains that may orginate elsewhere end up creating goods that are by and large consumed in the developed world.

I also my first two Chilean tests this week. Kind of hard for different reasons. My law exam was reasonable, but the essay format taxed me a bit since I hadn't written anything formal in any language in a couple of months.
The second was a quiz for "Globalization and Copper" which was short, but hard because it asked slightly ridiculous things, such as the exact number that the money supply had increased relative to how much it is actually backed. It was nice to have a taste of what examinations here are like though.

No comments:

Post a Comment