Tuesday, September 28, 2010

September 28: Sarna con gusto

Words of the Day:
Sarna con gusto no pica- A very idiomatic expression that is hard to render in English. Literally: "If you like scabies, it won't itch". Figuratively: Something that's hard/bad can be worth it to you, if you choose it freely. i.e. exercise
Learned this one from the host mom today after soccer.
fané- (Argentine- another one from the host mom) totally exhausted, broken, disheveled, done for (I think this was the word, can't find a reference to it anywhere)
agotado/a- exhausted (literally: all dropped out, like drops of water from a bucket)
cansador/a- tiring or exhausting

So after all my whining about lack of homework yesterday, I finally got assigned some readings for law class! Well, more specifically, supplementary readings for a supplementary portion of the class, but still an improvement! Between looking at some other supplementary articles and reading some interesting articles about Lula and heroin trafficking that I found on the Economist website I'm keeping busy. (I'm guessing The Economist is probably not Chilean student approved reading material, o well) I've also discovered that I can watch soap operas online and am currently indulging in "Primera Dama" (First Lady). It's a new series and in my opinion, falls short of the advertising hype. Can't believe I just tried to critique a soap opera. Enough with that, hope that at least the language practice makes up for the lost brain cells.

As might be surmised from today's word choices, I am feeling a bit tired. The good kind of tired, thanks to a challenging fútbol practice. Not to mention over 2 hours of walking ( I took a stupidly long route to school this morning) and salsa. I really like our coach, he's very laid back and has the amusing habit of making challenging exercises sound fun and easy. For example, today he told us to do 3 sets of 15 star jumps like it was a great time and not at all difficult. He's also very vague which amuses me because I will understand the words he is using, ie "behind" but he will use them to mean "Do the stretch where you put one leg behind you and reach for your toes on the other." We got to practice shooting a whole lot today which was good because I'm horrible at it and it was just nice to handle the ball a bit. I'm so glad I ended up having time for this: I really really enjoy playing. For all the things I'm missing academically, I do feel like a more holistic person this semester. I"m less overweight, less stressed/underslept and more able to explore what I want freely. And in the long run, those might be the most important things after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment