Sunday, October 10, 2010

October 11: ¿Por qué Cristóbal Colón no pudo descubrir a España?

Feliz Día de La Raza, known in the states as Happy Colombus Day!
Today's title is a very good (and humorously intentioned) question posed by poet Pablo Neruda in his "Libro de las preguntas"/ Book of Questions. "Why couldn't Colombus discover Spain?"
Upside of being sick: I had time to sit around and read poetry and books.
Downside of being sick: I didn't make it to any of the anti-Colombus Day activities on the Alameda as I had planned which I'm sure would have been really interesting. Eventually I'll get around to witnessing a proper protest march...

2 comments:

  1. Come to think of it, it's a really good question. Why can't any of us discover our own lands? I couldn't discover a lot of things about America until I came here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's because you're getting America from a different perspective. los Estados Unidos doesn't have 1 land - it has many. the immigrants brought with them many of the cultures and customs of their native lands. the customs and cultures that survived were the ones that were adapted by other groups - and made into something that was strictly American!

    ReplyDelete