Tuesday, October 26, 2010

October 26: ¿Cínica?

Words of the Day: False cognates edition!
cínico/a- In normal Spanish, this means cynical. In Chilensis, it means lying. Easy to remember if you think that cynism is an false worldview.
personalidad jurídica- legal status (a false cognate if I've ever heard one)

Yesterdays post is proof of why I should not blog while trying to figure things out at 2 in the morning. Surprisingly, going to my internship made me feel less cynical today, as much as the zone sometimes depresses me.

I guess yesterday when I was denouncing the notion of "social change" in bold strokes, what I really wanted to say was that I've become disillusioned with the idea of large sweeping change. Change when it ever does roll around comes from the small things. Probably, the work that goes on in El Trampolin and most other NGOs will realistically probably never bring people truly out of poverty, at the very least not in this generation. But that doesnt mean it wont generate tremendous good, albeit on the micro-micro-micro level. For instance, empowering a group of women to stand up to a corrupt local official so that they can use municipal space for an income generating sewing workshop, as they have the right to do. Giving the next generation education and options. Or just building links between people who otherwise would have absolutely nothing in common.

No comments:

Post a Comment