Thursday, October 7, 2010

Spanish is Hard: Verbs Verbs Verbs.

So, here are some random phrases that I've picked up of late that are very useful for figuring out what's going on... I'm thinking commonly used in Chile, but some of them are probably universal.

animarse-I thought animarse meant to cheer up or well, animate, which it does. So I was confused when several friends told me about things to do over the weekend "para animarse." I was so confused! Have I been looking sad lately? I love it here, I swear! Finally, I realized it can be used in the sense of "if you'd be interested in coming"
ie ¿Te animas de venir?

Tengo algunas panoramas si te tinca... Also having to do with weekend plans. I still remember this phrase because it threw me for such a loop. Literally translated it sounds something like "I have several views for you if.... " What is this tinca business?? Are you trying to sell me an apartment????
Tinca is a very Chilean verb that can mean, depending on context:
Me tinca-I guess or I like him.
Te tinca- do you want to?
And panoramas- outlooks
So "Tengo algunas panoramas si te tinca..."= I have some ideas for tonight if you're interested...

Te salió? : This one came up in salsa. The professor would always say it after explaining horribly complicated steps. Literally, it means to leave but it can be used to mean "Do you get it?"

faltarse: I wish this verb existed in English, in a non-pompous way. Means I need or am lacking in. But can be used in more senses than in English, ie salsa class when there are not enough partners. ¡Faltamos hombres! We are lacking in men! (I think that's right at least)

¿te parece?- Renders as "How does it seem to you" but often used at the ends of sentences to mean "What do you think/does that work for you?"

¿Te cuesta mucho....? Literally can mean that something costs a lot but frequently used to express that something was difficult. I got really confused for a when people would ask "Cuesta mucho llegar?" which means did you have a hard time getting here? because I thought it meant, "Was it expensive to get here?" "No, I took the metro..."

1 comment:

  1. good! you are picking up really useful stuff ;)
    just two tiny little mistakes: panoramas is masculine so it'd be algunos.
    and the verb is faltar...in that context you mention...the phrase would be either faltan hombres or Nos faltan hombres. Oh! another typical phrase: faltar a clase= to miss a class.

    ReplyDelete