Thursday, December 23, 2010

“Agarrar papa”: Adventures in the Barrio Alto




Words of the Day:
agarrar papa- to go all out, over the top, become really involved or enthusiastic
te pasaste!- you outdid yourself!
enchulado- roughly, pimped out
ubicarse- to know what’s going on, literally and figuratively.
top- the best

Unlike pretty much every other day since I’ve been here where I invariably wind up in some random part of Santiago, all my activities today were solidly in the barrio alto. Which was delightful but also weird given that my Tufts in Chile experience usually ensures that I am constantly traveling between extreme landscapes, especially on the days I go to my internship. Even my weekends are extremely varied: while I spent last Friday in a Chilean dive bar, this weekend’s outing took place in one of the most upscale hotels in the city.

Today started with a lovely, delicious lunch at a friend’s house in Las Condes (the 2nd wealthiest comuna) which literally looked straight out of Better Homes and Gardens, followed by a dip in her gorgeous pool :)

Then, that evening, a friend from the program went to perform with a jazz band in the Hyatt hotel, so we decided to go along and dress up. The Hyatt is pretty much one of the fanciest and most upscale places in Santiago. Luckily, I was able to get a ride over from my host mom, but unfortunately, this meant that I arrived VERY early. I sort of wandered in and awkwardly waited, hoping no one was going to ask me what I was doing there. Granted I was very well dressed, but I was still sort of waiting for spotlights and flashing alarms to go off and be like “You there, stop, where do you think you are going?” The fact that this didn’t happen made me feel pretty adult, which was nice...The performance was a ton of fun and we spent all evening there, singing and dancing (the theme of the night was American music, so we were experts...)

No comments:

Post a Comment