Monday, December 27, 2010

December 27th: Have Suitcase, Willing to Learn

If study abroad teaches you anything, it’s that you don’t know anything. You know far less of a culture, language and history than you may think. The world is simultaneously bigger and smaller than you imagined.

With this in mind, recognizing my limitations but also trying to slake my intellectual curiosity a bit, I’ve been reading a lot (in English no less!) One book my parents got for me for Christmas, travel writer Rick Steve’s “Travel as a Political Act” deserves mention on here. While I found the book a bit preachy at times, he made very legitimate points about what travel experiences can have the potential to be.

By his definition, travel as a political act means getting to know what another place is like, by forming connections with other people, and letting them air their opinions and world views, and attempting to understand how these are linked to history and culture. It also means acknowledging, in a non-ethnocentric way, that other countries may have found different (and possible even “better”) solutions to problems that we also face, knowledge which can potentially be used in ways that will benefit our own societies. Lastly, he talks about the importance of using travel as a method to overcome fear, both about safety, but also of that which is different than us, especially in the post 9/11 world.

I realized that I’ve been fortunate enough to never have really traveled internationally in a non- political way, perhaps trips to Argentine wine country or Patagonia excluded :) And I think that is why I am having a hard time explaining both the value and the meaning of my experience to those who haven’t had the same kinds of travel experiences. Furthermore, in reading Steves’ chapter on El Salvador, which reminded me a bit of my experience in Guatemala last January, I realized that travel in Latin America, in anything outside of a resort, leaves you with something indelible. The struggles are so epically proportioned and framed that you are drawn into them. I don’t want to say that this is a good or bad thing, merely that it changes people. It radicalizes you. It makes you more cynical. On a good day, maybe more thankful. Often these reactions are justified: contrary to the way Latin America is constantly portrayed in the media as a place that is far away and very different, a glimpse under the surface reveals we have a huge stake in so much of the goings on there, whether corporate or political. As consumers, voters and human beings, we should care.

In describing his travels to Iran, however, Steves’ also makes a point that I find equally valid: you can’t exclusively view another country through its politics, much less the sanitized vision of what another country’s politics that is so often found in the media or even academic caricatures. Nor can you use any other single criteria.
This is one thing I found really challenging at times in Chile (and in the imagined community of “Latin America” as a whole): it’s always tempting to view the country exclusively through the lens of the dictatorship. While this period hugely impacted modern politics and culture, its important to keep it in perspective. Chile has strengths and challenges that both stem from but are also deeper than one historical era. Similarly, its dangerous to look at a country (or people!) in terms of its economic status. Chile is certainly defined by its developing nation status and its inequality/continued struggle with poverty, but again, this isn’t the whole story.

Ideally, government is a reflection of the will of the people, but often the desires of this “group” are so varied that there is bound to be discord. Just as Bush’s foreign policy was completely estranged from my vision of what I want for the US, Obama’s foreign and domestic policies represent something similarly distant for some sectors of the population.
Just as I had to learn to accept different cultural realities during my time abroad, America’s “culture wars” are something I’m having to learn to readjust to. However, as much as I may disagree politically with many people, its imperative to remember that this doesn’t have to prevent friendship or other forms of understanding. If only we could remember this, we’d have a civil society that looks a lot more “civil” and less like a paintball range. That’s my “imported from abroad” two cents for the day...

So travel as relaxing but educational, humbling and eye-opening? I’m all for it. Bank account permitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment