Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Ivory Tower Asshole & America's Favorite Pasttime

Last Friday, it was one of my good friend's 21st birthday, and to celebrate, a group of us went to a Red Sox game. This was exciting because it was something I had wanted to do before graduating from school up here. It also showed me how hilariously out of touch I am with the actual "real world." First of all, I couldn't even find normal clothes to wear- apparently I don't own anything red or Red Sox approved. I ended up wearing these absurb Chilean jeans (think acid wash + knee patches) and a tweed blazer, because they were the only things that I had clean. Saving up quarters to do laundry in my sketchtastic basement is sometimes a struggle.

Secondly, despite the fact that I can talk ad naseum about topics such as the Guatemalan Civil War and the politics of "Selective Service Provision in Latin American Cities," when it comes to things that the majority of people actually find interesting, I am absolutely hopeless. Thanks to gym class, I actually know how baseball is played, but as for actual players or stats or any of those things, I am completely lost. It took me a good 15 minutes after arrival to figure out where the score of the game was being tallied and which team was which. I got really confused when they started saying "You" when player Kevin Youkillis was up at bat, because it sounded like booing and I couldn't figure out why everyone would have such bad sportsmanship, especially towards their own teammate.

Surprisingly, given my tendency to be a complete bore at sporting events, I/we had an amazing time. Fenway Park aka the Green Monster (I knew that much at least) is a wicked awesome place. It was so fun to see everyone all excited and varied and it was just so American. And I can honestly say, other than times I was hanging out with family or friends, it was one of those moments where I felt truly present and happy to be exactly where I was. Wanderlust temporarily quenched.

Kind of did miss the insane illegal fireworks and riot cops aspect of South American sporting events though...

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad that you got to experience a part of the Great American past time, courtesy of MY favorite team. Uncle Tom and Meredith go at least once a season to see their favorite team - the Yankees - in the Bronx. and if you can go again, do it -especially if the NY Yankees come to Boston again!

    cross one off the "things i have to do before i graduate from Tufts" list!!

    Auntie Lisa

    ReplyDelete