Friday, May 13, 2011

Reveling in Post Finals Bliss*

* Finals are over?

This is so weird I have not actually been able to comprehend it yet, even though I have been done for a full two days. I'm really bored bc I'm at work right now and now was is here for me to watch, so I'm going to make an exhaustive list of things I've been doing to celebrate.

-The night we finished finals, one of my friends and I planned to go out on the town. This did not materialize in the slightess, as we ended up drinking tea and wine on my couch, and hitting the hay after about an hour.

-Read 2 books. Reviews forthcoming...

-Cooked Paraguayan Cornbread, sopa paraguaya, adapted to be heart healthier, using cottage cheese and butter instead of heavy cheese and lard. The results were lighter and fluffier than expected, but still quite nice. And of course, some vegetarian empanadas to go on the side.

-Went on a nighttime raid of "Jumbo Drop," the school recycling program in which old items are donated, sorted and resold. Ironically, I am working part time for Tufts Recycles, so really, I was just making my work down the line easier. Memorable items salvaged included 4 boxes of coffee filters, glittery craft straws, gourmet canned soup, a new wardrobe and a copy of the Wilco album "A Ghost is Born"

-Worked every morning shift at the pool at 6:45. The president's (of Tufts) wife always comes to swim, she's really nice.

-Chilled in the interlibrary loan office of the library and got to return tons of books to other libraries. Nothing like being paid to nose about what other people are ready.

-Went to an absurd unpaid training session for a part time catering job. Received the most boring lecture of all time, 20 minutes about how to pick up and carry a large serving tray.

-Went Salsa dancing!!! At Ryle's, Inman Square's premiere Latin Dance/ Jazz Venue. It brought back a wave of Chile nostalgia, not to mention provoking a good deal of my horrible singing. Also, I have not gotten any better at dancing. The most amusing incident for me was when this guy asked me to dance and I asked if it was actually salsa music that was playing (to be fair, I am rhytmically challenged and they were playing other genres as well) and he judged me super hard, while pretending to pray for my poor culturally barren gringa soul. Despite our lack of dancing ability, our group had a most excellent time. Also it was free to get in which was amazing.

-After accompanying my housemate on her informal taxi service route to the airport, we went on an adventure to East Boston to find Peruvian ingredients for a dish we're obsessed with called Lomo Saltado. (Except that lomo is beef and we are vegetarians) We bought tons of things, like puffed corn kernels, ají amarillo, chica morada and lucuma ice cream. It was epic.

-Then, we rerouted and headed back to Boston's elegant side for a trip to the Museum of Fine Arts to see the Chihuly exhibit. I have never seen such lively, inspired and trippy glass sculpture. I totally want to become a glassblower. Adding that to the list of things to learn this summer.

That's about it so far. But yeah. It's really nice to be done with school I guess, especially since I've been nerding it up with about a book a day, so it doesn't really feel like I'm done with school anyway :)

No comments:

Post a Comment